Saturday, September 25, 2010

Temple Grandin



This one was so important I had to blog about it immediately after watching.  I do not normally do that about any subject.  But once in MANY years and scores of wasted hollywood productions comes a movie that's so incredibly powerful, so epic, I'm at loss of words.  It did make it to a report on World News Tonight the other day, which is how I learned about its multiple nominations and Temple herself,  but it deserves many more major headlines accross all media. 

Temple Grandin is a college professor, a scientist, a designer, an inventor, and - she's autistic.  She didn't even speak till she was 4.  And accomplished far more than so many "normal" people do in their lifespans.  The actors do an absolutely incredible job at authentically portraying the characters, time period (1960s-80s), and director Mick Jackson addresses just about every major social issue in the most profound way, from autism to women's rights to humane treatment of animals, and surprisingly for me, design.  I was so moved by Temple's intrinsic designer instincts, work, power of observation, and the way it was portrayed in the movie, I think this picture should be made mandatory material for every design school in the country.  It will make you laugh and cry.  I could go on, but as they say, a picture's worth a 1000 words - please do yourself a favor, and see "Temple Grandin".

No comments:

Post a Comment